Calnetix is a growing engineering and manufacturing company located in Southern California. We are making a positive contribution to society and the environment by helping to change the way the world harvests and utilizes energy. We enable OEMs across a wide range of industries to enhance and differentiate their current products and to innovate toward creating new products and markets. In partnership with OEMs, we utilize our innovative, high-speed motor generator technologies to help meet industry demand for more energy-efficient products that reduce energy consumption, reduce harmful emissions and enhance energy security.
We are seeking a candidate who can manage, guide and mentor an existing mature power electronics engineering team engaged in the analysis, design, build, test, and validation of digital, analog, and high-power circuits. Specific applications include but are not limited to bi-directional motor drive and grid tie applications, magnetic bearing controllers and high-performance inverters. The candidate must demonstrate experience and knowledge of Electrical Engineering and Power Engineering with applications in the 100 – 500 kw power range. The candidate must be able to coordinate engineering activities of planning, design, development, and installation of power electronic and electrical machinery and equipment in a manufacturing environment.
- Provide technical guidance to electrical design team in design and packaging of custom power electronic products
- Design/recommend custom solutions to meet the technical and commercial product requirements
- Technical lead for in-house electrical and power electronics testing
- Develop test methods and procedures for components, subassemblies, and systems
- Familiar with safety-agency testing and compliance approval processes
- Specify electrical power hardware as required to meet additional safety and local code requirements
Product sustaining engineering and manufacturing support
- Continuous effort in product reliability and cost improvements
- Review and approve test method and procedure changes for production units
- Identify alternate components due to obsolescence and/or cost reduction
- Provide technical support to manufacturing test activities as needed
Business development (BD)/ Customer support /Field service support
- Provide technical assistance to the BD group during project proposal phase, including preliminary design concept, cost and schedule estimates
- Establish and maintain working relationship with Project Management group
- Develop and guide special tests and validation efforts at the customer site
- In-house customer witness tests, validation and troubleshooting
- Provide support to field service engineering personnel
- Travel to customer site as needed
Desired Skills and Experience:
- MSEE having 10 years of industrial experience with a minimum of 5 years in power electronic and motion control field required; PhD preferred
- Experience managing a highly skilled electrical engineering team is required
- Power electronics, switch mode conversion and controls design experience essential
- In-depth understanding of digital, analog and power electronic circuits and components and their functionality. Recent experience in SiC power devices and EMI/filtering considerations is a plus.
- In-depth understanding and implementation of motion control hardware and software.
- Experience with motion control algorithms for PM motors. Ability to conduct Matlab Simulink analyses is a plus but not required.
- Solid understanding of Permanent Magnet Synchronous machine control and operation.
- Experience with multi-level (3+) topologies is a plus.
- Familiarity with safety and regulatory requirements for high power electrical systems (UL, CE, NEMA, IEC, IEEE, MIL)
- Excellent problem solving and troubleshooting skills
- Strong background of power electronics system assembly/packaging techniques
- Pro-active approach to work
- Enthusiasm and passion
- High work standards, well organized and meticulous
- Integrity, commitment and honesty
Position will be required to lead and mentor highly skilled well established engineering team.
Work Environment / Physical Demands:
- Most time to be spent in an office environment or on-site Power Electronics lab. Personal protective equipment may be required in designated areas.
- Travel will be required to support business development, design reviews at customer site and field service.
Disclaimer - The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned, by their supervisor. Management reserves the right to change, rescind, add or delete the duties and responsibilities of positions within this job classification at any time. Being authorized to work in the U.S. is a precondition of employment. Calnetix will not sponsor applicants for immigration, including for H-1B, TN and other non-immigrant Visas, for this role.
Calnetix is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or veteran status. This policy applies to recruiting, hiring, transfers, promotions, terminations, compensation and benefits and also states that retaliation against any employee who files a complaint regarding possible violations of this policy will not be tolerated.