Calnetix is a growing engineering and manufacturing company located in Southern California. We are making a positive contribution to society and the environment by helping to change the way the world harvests and utilizes energy. We enable OEMs across a wide range of industries to enhance and differentiate their current products and to innovate toward creating new products and markets. In partnership with OEMs, we utilize our innovative, high-speed motor generator technologies to help meet industry demand for more energy-efficient products that reduce energy consumption, reduce harmful emissions and enhance energy security.
Calnetix is looking for a Director of Power Electronics, EM, and Motion Controls who will lead our Power Electronics (PE), Electromagnetics (EM), and Motion Controls team that is engaged in design, build and test of state-of-the-art power electronic systems and permanent magnet motor generators. The candidate will be responsible for planning and directing the overall engineering functions of the PE, EM, and Motion Controls team, including new product and technology development, system topology and design, and customer and technical support. He/She will work closely with the Business Development team to establish a PE, EM, and Motion Controls technology roadmap. The candidate will be developing design criteria, formulating and monitoring budgets, schedules, resources, and providing leadership within the group as well as closely working with operations, sales, and business development groups to achieve company objectives.
To apply, email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Administer and manage the PE, EM, and Motion Controls engineering team
- Develop new concepts that expand and improve our current technologies, enabling innovative products. All new product development will be through a formal internal approval process involving company senior staff members
- Optimize each PE and EM product through technical and economic evaluation to improve the product’s cost, reliability, and performance
- Improve and expand on existing hardware and software product documentation processes including streamlining hardware and software design release
- Provide technical support to the sales and business development team
- Provide field service support on a high priority basis to external customer installed base as needed
- Support project engineering and implementation teams by providing essential resources and assistance in a timely fashion
- Develop technical knowledge base and personnel capable of defining PE product manufacturing processes within Calnetix
- Develop testing plans and procedures to document the performance of existing and new products
- Provide data to the rest of the company as needed to support sales, marketing, and external customers
- Work closely with purchasing to improve cost-effectiveness of products as well with manufacturing to improve manufacturability of products.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Minimum, M.S. degree or equivalent in Electrical Engineering (preferably specialized in Power Electronics and Motion Controls engineering)
- Minimum 10 years of proven experience in technical leadership and personnel management for Power Electronic products
- Solid understanding of the fundamentals of electrical engineering
- Broad knowledge of electrical and rotating machine-based systems with experience in system integration and troubleshooting
- Strong oral and written communication skills for technical papers, customer presentations, and marketing and business development activities
- Technical interface for both internal and external customers (facilitate design review materials for PDR, CDR, Test, and Validation methods)
- High-speed power inverter architecture for motor drives and harmonic and EMI mitigation
- Thorough understanding of power switching devices (IGBT, MOSFET, Wide Band Gap devices) and associated power hardware (magnetics, switchgear, power capacitors etc.,)
- Thorough understanding of Analog and Digital circuit design and manufacturing processes.
- Thorough understanding of Grid tie inverter architecture and Multi-level inverter architecture
- Knowledge of high-frequency power conversion and transmission in extreme environments
- Ability to provide technical guidance on electronic assembly packaging
- Understanding of thermodynamics, fluid flow, and heat transfer
- Exposure to permanent magnet high-speed synchronous machines
- Exposure to circuit/system simulation and analysis
- Compliance and verification guidance for hardware and software program requirements
- Safety agency (UL, CE, etc.) requirements and managing approval process.
- Integrity and honesty
- Program Execution (must have a solid track record)
- Enthusiasm and passion (self-motivated and independent)
- Emotional intelligence related to team management and talent development
- Must work effectively in a cross-functional team to achieve goals
- Limited travel associated with field service and customer visits for business development activities.
The position will manage PE, EM, and Motion Controls engineering teams.
Work Environment / Physical Demands:
Majority of requirements in office. Up to 15% travel may be required.
Disclaimer - The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned, by their supervisor. Management reserves the right to change, rescind, add or delete the duties and responsibilities of positions within this job classification at any time. Being authorized to work in the U.S. is a precondition of employment. Calnetix will not sponsor applicants for immigration, including for H-1B, TN and other non-immigrant Visas, for this role.
Calnetix is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or veteran status. This policy applies to recruiting, hiring, transfers, promotions, terminations, compensation and benefits and also states that retaliation against any employee who files a complaint regarding possible violations of this policy will not be tolerated.