Calnetix is a design and manufacturing company that is primarily focused on high-speed permanent magnet synchronous machines, power electronics, magnetic bearings, and associated controls. Candidate will join the engineering team, using our high-speed high power permanent magnet machines, power electronics, and magnetic bearing controllers to change the electric machine industry.
The Lead Embedded Firmware Engineer will be responsible for all aspects of embedded firmware development using NXP, Freescale or equivalent DSP chips for power electronics and motor drive applications.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Your responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Lead Embedded Firmware development activities in C/C++ and Assembly languages for permanent magnet motors/generators and power converter control.
- Support and modify existing firmware, or develop new firmware for power electronics and motor drive applications.
- Support internal and external software architecture and operation design reviews.
- Generate documentation related to firmware and interfaces with traceability to customer and firmware certification requirements including but not limited to Software Requirements Specification, Software Design Description, Software Verification and Validation Plan, Software Test Plan, Software User Documentation, and Software Quality Assurance Plan.
- Perform hands on work encompassing debugging, troubleshooting, and testing of existing and new firmware.
- Develop test plan, perform validation test and ensure compliance to specification.
- Develop and implement firmware lifecycle control process and documentation.
- Provide timely software support for both in-house testing and customer field service support.
- work closely with the hardware and controls teams to architect, implement, test and deploy safety critical software on next generation products as well as existing systems.
Required Skills, Experience, Education, and Abilities:
- BSc or MSc in EE and having 8 years of industry experience. PhD is preferred.
- Strong background of at least 5 years in C/C++ firmware development for power electronics and motor drive applications.
- Skilled in classical and advanced control system theory, including modeling, simulation, stability analysis, control loop shaping, signaling, and processing.
- Proficient with NXP MPC5643L/MPC5744P Bare Metal firmware programming.
- Writing low level device drivers (ADC, PWM, Timers, GPIO, SPI, SCI, UART, CAN, etc.).
- Familiar with Modbus, SPI, RS485 and CAN Bus J1939.
- Experience with aviation and military standards such as RTCA DO-178C, DO-254A, and military standards of MIL-STD-461, ISO 26262 ASIL and MISRA.
- Able to use and set up test equipment such as oscilloscopes, data loggers / analyzers, software development tools, CANalyzer.
- Proven track record of software requirements management.
- Familiar with software revision control such as Git or SVN.
- Familiar with fundamentals of power electronics and electric machines.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Safety Compliance: Ensure firmware and software design adhere to UL/Military/ Aviation safety standard requirements for software in programmable components, aiming for reliable and secure operation of power electronic and motor drive systems.
- Hands on experience of Field Oriented Control, 3-phase power control, and control system design.
- Familiar with flux estimation methods, sensorless and resolver-based controls.
- Demonstrated experience with space vector, sinusoidal, and/or discontinuous PWM schemes.
- Fundamental knowledge of digital, analog and power electronic circuits.
- Detail oriented with excellent time management skills.
- Strong blend of analytical, decision-making and creative problem-solving skills.
- Team player with a willingness to learn, teach and help.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
Physical Demands / Work Environment:
- 10% travel may be required.
Disclaimer - The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned, by their supervisor. Management reserves the right to change, rescind, add or delete the duties and responsibilities of positions within this job classification at any time.
Calnetix will not sponsor for immigration, including for H-1B, TN and other Non-immigrant Visas for this position. Calnetix is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or veteran status. This policy applies to recruiting, hiring, transfers, promotions, terminations, compensation and benefits and also states that retaliation against any employee who files a complaint regarding possible violations of this policy will not be tolerated.
To apply resume to firstname.lastname@example.org (at the bottom)